Thursday, June 28, 2007

regional sustainable development - not just an academic discipline anymore

Friends of the Brule River & Forest just marked their 20th anniversary with a guest lecture by Mark Leach, Bro Professor of Regional Sustainable Development, Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute, Northland College, Ashland, Wisconsin. Introducing himself to the college (by means of faculty profile page) he writes:

'We live in a time of increasing environmental challenges: from global to personal. As a society, we need to transition quickly to sustainability. My approach to sustainable development emphasizes “development.” Not the “development” we associate with new buildings and roads, but the “development” of the mature person as a moral and effective participant in society. From the time I could walk, my mother and aunt would take me along to gather wild asparagus, morels, and berries. At the end of a successful berry picking day there was always a pie. No wonder my academic training and research interests have been primarily focused on plants and their conservation. I enjoy the intellectual exercise of discovering the inner workings of ecosystems. I have been involved in understanding, protecting, and restoring tallgrass prairie, oak savanna, and forests. I quickly learned that scientific knowledge has never been sufficient; knowledge of how to be effective in organizations and agencies is also essential....I recently moved to an Ashland neighborhood where gasoline-powered lawnmowers maintain acres of lawn. I look forward to converting most of my lawn into wildflower and vegetable gardens and trying out a newly re-engineered motorless mower.'

No comments: