Thursday, June 7, 2007

interruptions good and bad

I meant to post this first, but I found the turkey poop article, and ran with it.

I've been absent from the blog because we had our inaugural meeting of an ecological network in the diocese here (Northern California) on June 2. Exhilarating but tiring.

Then on Sunday afternoon as I was beginning to rebound I got the news of Jim Kelsey's death. I've been in disarray since then.

Now I am in Marquette, Michigan, resting from a red eye and catching up my blogging here. The funeral is tomorrow.

Compost happens, though. Jim has been recognized for his interfaith environmental work with the UP Earthkeepers. And I've been thinking a lot about what a passion for local ministry development and a passion for the community of creation have in common. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

John Leech said...

Speaking of local ministry, a good week of visits in Stanton St John, Oxfordshire, last week, with the congregation there, which is part of a team ministry of about a dozen churches that have been partnered for about a dozen years. Andrea, a retired priest, Brenda, an Ordained Local Minister, and Stevie, the vicar for four of the parishes, were among the people we met - along with Bobbie among the baptized who coordinated an effective Taize prayer service last Sunday with 20 singing.

It was good to see how they share their ministries, and how open they were about the team concept.

They have a new bishop, John Pritchard, diocese of Oxford, whom we met Thursday, the day before his installation, while he and we were on pilgrimage to Blackwells bookshop. They (and now we) have his four books on intercessory prayer.