Sunday, February 25, 2007

lenten learnings so far

Last week John Leech sent me an article from the Guardian titled "Is there anything else to give up for Lent?" The writer asked the question, in a somewhat spoofy way, from the perspective of those of us trying to live earth friendly lives.

If you want to form a new habit, trying it on for six weeks can be the beginning. It worked for me with shunning fast food, and it worked for me with giving up meat. So what do I do now?

Well, this year I decided to try two things that might effect not so much what I eat, as how I eat, and my attitudes toward food.

First, I realized some time ago that I don't really want to give up anything else, having in mind Mae West's excellent maxim, "Moderation in all things, including moderation." But there are some foods I know I shouldn't bring into the house, as I eat way too much of them. (Mae also said "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful." I do not think this applies to junky food.) Ice cream and fatty snacks - chips and the like - were already on the list. For lent I figure I will add chocolate, cookies, and diet soda, the last because it's just plain stupid. It's not that I can't have ice cream - but that if I want some I have to go out, get a small serving of something good, and eat it there. Chips or a diet coke with a sandwich out, fine - but no bringing them home in quantity. If I want sweets, I can make them. And if I want chocolate I can walk to the drugstore and buy a little and eat it. You get the idea.

So far it's working pretty well. I know, only half a week....
I'm taking kind of a manna approach to these foods - hoarding is destructive and unnecessary.

The other discipline I am taking on is much harder. No eating in the car. I've become aware, since trying to truly appreciate what I eat, and since reading a bit of slow food philosophy, how disgusting this American habit is. I watch people eating and drinking while driving. And I've become aware of people who buy prepared food at Trader Joe's, then sit in their cars in the parking lot and eat it. Sad and unappealing.

But I eat in the car. I got in the habit when working for the diocese of Nevada years ago, trying to save stops on long drives. Often I would pack food from home - but that didn't make it a nicer practice, just more wholesome. The best times were the times I stopped the car, got out and stretched, and enjoyed the food with the scenery. And then in LA everyone does everything in their cars, sometimes all at the same time. (Would you believe I once saw a woman in rush hour traffic putting on her make-up, sipping coffee, and talking on the phone?)

I've had some little tests already. And this morning I had the first big one. I was heading for Gualala, to preach at Shepherd by the Sea. Usually I leave at quarter or ten to seven to get there in plenty of time for the 9 a.m. service. And usually I pack a mug of tea and a peanut butter sandwich to enjoy in the car - on the few sections of that seventy mile drive that don't require both hands on the wheel. Today I had to get up much earlier to have my breakfast at home before I left - not easy for a night owl.

The good news is, though, that I saw so much more during the drive, as my attention was focused on the road and the roadsides, not juggling snacks. It was showery on the way up, sunny on the way back. Fruit trees are in bloom - mostly cherries and ornamentals, I think - many birds were out, and there were tiny lambs in some of the pastures.

No comments: