Monday, February 2, 2009

the peanut saga continues

I discovered that I had a potentially contaminated product in my cupboard - a Larabar, peanut butter cookie flavor. I've been using this brand of snack bars for travel because they seem to include only ingredients I would use in cooking - but maybe not?

Larabar is now a subsidiary of General Mills, and the informative operator, when I called for my refund, thought I would be cheered to know that Muir Glen and Cascadian Farms are also expressions of Betty Crocker goes natural.

I wish I had the time today to go through the list of brands at the market which we think of as alternative to centralized, industrialized, globally sourced and produced brands - and find out who they really are.

Meanwhile, the New York Times ran this article on irradiation - why it might have worked but maybe not on dirty peanut butter -
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/business/02irradiate.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
What the article lacks is a description of how irradiation really works.
And the comments are worth reading if you want to know how fear and illogic on one side (anti-irradiators) and smugness on the other (pooh-poohing scientists) don't lead to meaningful conversation.

Probably my favorite line was in the comments, discussing food safety generally. "Why should they [food processors] profit from our risk?"

No comments: