Saturday, July 7, 2007

holiday ramblings

I've been vacationing at and around home, and am now in Crescent City for the weekend. Not much time to write. In fact, it's only this morning, sitting in an overheated coffee shop (yes, heated - it's about 60F outside here on the north coast, and the barristas are skimpily clad) that I got around to reading the NY Times food news from midweek.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/dining/04farm.html?ex=1341288000&en=76b969f9d349958b&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

This is a good summary article on farm bill developments regarding some promise of beginning the move away from subsidies or large scale monocropping of the big five.

Vacation included some food and wine adventures. I went to yet another farm market, the one at the old Souverain winery, now Francis Ford Coppola's Rosso Y Bianco. Friday evening fun - live music, cheap pizza for wine tourist food - but disappointing in terms of vendors - only one local produce, and one value added, locally scented soaps. I begin to wonder if we are saturated in Sonoma County - too many farm markets for too few small scale growers of varied produce.

I've taken some pictures at the community garden, but there's a time lag given that I don't have a digital camera. Maybe next week I'll have something to show. We have baby zucchini, and tomatoes have set fruit.

Now I am off to the farmers' market here in Del Norte County, at the fair grounds. There won't be much produce yet, but it's still fun. And they do enable use of food stamps and other programs to provide access to local produce for the poor - good to see. AND I've got my cooler and hope to pick up some cheese bargains at Rumiano's shop.

No comments: