Monday, March 12, 2007

Overheard en route

Traveling certainly takes its toll on blogging time. I've been enjoying freedom from a computer when I'm away from home, but I think I am going to have to consider this period a sabbatical, and get a new notebook or something soon.

Yesterday on a flight west from Chicago, I overheard a guy across the aisle say to his seat mate, "I heard 25% of the corn crop this year is gonna be used for ethanol. If that happens the price of meat is gonna go up."

I wanted to lean over and say, "Honey, that's the least of our problems." But I've realized I may be boring folks with lectures on the food system. Somehow getting the conversation around to these issues is much easier when I am actually sharing food with folks, too, not watching them eat m&m's and pringles and drink filtered water from 12 ounce bottles that cost $2.

If we used to have a hard time calling what they served on airplanes food, what in heaven's name do we call it now?

No comments: