Sunday, March 4, 2007

Footnote on the Minimalist

A few days ago I mentioned Mark Bittman of the NY Times. I recommended his video clips, especially for beginning cooks or for cooks who are trying to get back to basic but not tedious home cooking. Two friends reminded me that the Santa Rosa Press Democrat carries his column. Some of the stories which you have to pay for at the Times site are free at the PD site!

Also, I tried the no knead long rise bread, baked in a dutch oven, which he has been touting. And I forgot that there had been a correction to the recipe. My dough was too wet, but I still got a very tasty loaf, with good structure, and chewy crust. It's amazing the way gluten develops with time alone. Now I know why my grandmother's method for making oatmeal bread (less yeast, overnight rise) yields a less crumby loaf, even with the high proportion of oats. I'm going to mess around with Bittman's recipe, cutting back on the water and substituting some whole wheat. I may also try dividing it into two smaller covered pots. And I may never have to buy a crusty artisan loaf again - unless I'm in a hurry.

No comments: