Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Treasures in the blasts

I'm going through all the email blasts from various organizations and campaigns.

Lo and behold - on ENS a commentary about blackberry jam:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_129088_ENG_HTM.htm

What I have in common with Lori Erickson - the diaconate and blackberries.

What I don't have is a husband to pick them. I spent quite a bit of time on Saturday hacking my way into the Himalayan blackberry patch behind the community garden, with scratches on my arms to prove it. So much growth this year from the late rains, and they are a bit behind in their ripening. But in a week or so they'll be fine. I use a few greenish gravensteins with my blackberries to make jam.

Another thing I don't have - people to eat it. Between the folks who can't eat sugar and the folks who won't, I can't find homes for a couple of small batches. And please - don't tell me about sugarless jams. Moderation in all things including moderation!

Still, there is that overwhelming sense of abundance and grace from getting a crop I don't have to tend - well, except for hacking out the excess new growth to harvest them.

Blackberry and zucchini season - God's extravagant generosity.

No comments: