Monday, July 26, 2010

5 a day the quickie way

Recently conversing with my doctor about the book I was reading while waiting (Tomorrow's Table), she mentioned she is a vegan. For some presumptuous reason, I said, "Well, if you are a vegan you really must eat dark leafy greens every day."

She then gave me a recipe - place in the blender a cup of raw spinach, a small cucumber, the juice of a lemon - and I'm afraid I forgot the other two ingredients. The result is - you guessed it - five a day in a glass.

Rather than commenting on how repulsive this sounded, all I could say was, "I like to cook and eat cooked food."

Too which she replied, "I don't have time."

So I was interested just now catching up on some podcasts, listening to a recent rebroadcast of Krista Tippett's interview with Barbara Kingsolver.

Kingsolver pointed out that she cooks, and is a working mother. She confessed to a very short commute - working at home - but also being at her desk from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. most days. She gave three reasons to cook, even if one does have a busy life.
It's family time, it's entertainment, and it's a spiritual exercise.
I like her thinking.

No comments: