Thursday, November 14, 2019

UN Report on Food Waste in North America

Anyone who followed this blog in its early days knows that I showed a great fondness for lengthy reports. Here is one that appeared earlier this year. How I missed it, especially with my continuing work with our local Food Recovery Coalition, I don't know. I've only had time to skim it so far, but want it linked here. Diverting food waste is both a local and a global challenge.
https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/27688/WasteNot.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
There's a good chart on page 13 which shows the proportion of waste generated at the consumer phase of food's life cycle. This is highest in North America and lowest in the developing world where waste is most often generated between harvest and retail, in storage and shipping.

No comments: